Journey to the Future
Strategic Plan Tri-Chairs
Liz Murphy | Kevin David
As the College moves forward with Achieving the Dream and creating the Strategic Plan, the two will work closely together to ensure alignment, with the ultimate goal being that the emergent themes from ATD drive the Strategic Plan. Several sessions have been planned so that the campus community may stay abreast and be a part of the successful outcome of both of these very important initiatives.
The following calendar outlines the upcoming activities that you are invited to participate in for Achieving the Dream and the Strategic Plan. Additional announcements will be forthcoming in future editions of News & Whooo's with links to sign up through the Employee Training Calendar. We hope this provides a snapshot to help you understand where the College is heading in this process. Individual committees and the Board of Trustees will be meeting separately to work on related initiatives intermittently during this time.
- Journey to the Future, November 2017-June 2018, Board of Trustees Work Sessions
- Kickoff at Convocation, August 17, 2018 - Liz Murphy, Chairman and Chief Evangelist, CampusWorks, Inc.
- The timeline for the planning process is August 2018 – June 2019.
- Early to Mid-March: Mission, Vision, Values and Student Success Statement Survey (HCC Employees)
- April 10 & 11: 3rd ATD Coaches Visit (Core and Data Teams and HCC Employees)
- April 11: Data Summit and ATD Update (HCC Employees)
- April 25 & 26: Focus Groups to Provide Feedback on Strategic Plan (HCC Employees and Community)
- June 11: Board of Trustees Meeting to Adopt Strategic Plan and Student Success Policy (Board of Trustees and Community)
- June-August: Work on Action Plans (HCC Employees)
- August 16: Update on work completed to date and discuss future initiatives (HCC Employees)
- Upcoming dates as of December 2018
- Planning Process: Aug 2018-Jun 2019.
- Data Summit: October 29, 2018 | 12-1p | Chesapeake Dining Rooms
- Future Summit: Nov 9, 2018 | 1-4p | APGFCU Arena
- Upcoming Dates as of December 2018
Members from across the Harford Community College community recently attended the national conference for Achieving the Dream, DREAM 2019. During this 3-day immersive learning experience, we were able to further steep ourselves in meaningful conversations around high-impact practices for improving student success. Some of the main take-aways included the importance and application of a growth mindset, specific tactics for reaching adjunct faculty, and how to address the needs of our students in a holistic way. We met with local, sister institutions to information share, but also benefited from the entire ATD network of schools, learning from institutions located as far as Washington State and even New Zealand! The HCC team was also able to meet with our Leadership and Data Coaches to continue dialogue about our data story and emerging themes that will be an integral part of the Strategic Plan. Information, perspectives, and ideas gained during this experience will be infused into the work of the Core and Data Teams this spring semester and we look forward to hearing more from attendees about what they learned!
Harford Community College began its official membership with Achieving the Dream in June 2018 when a 10-member interdisciplinary team took part in the Kick-Off event in Cleveland, Ohio. At this meeting, the team spent several days working alongside our Leadership Coach (Dr. Karen Stout) and Data Coach (Leon Hill) to further steep ourselves in the 7-capacities outlined by ATD (shown to left).
The intention over our three-year membership is to build on our existing successes to increase institutional capacity in these seven areas. To this end, the Core and Data teams are underway with their work, which will ultimately lead to the development of a specific work plan for years two and three of our membership.
Our entire campus community will be vital to the reflection necessary to fully maximize and maintain the benefits of membership with ATD. Together we will be able to create an integrated system of holistic, student-centered reforms that lead to educational and career success for the next generation of learners and leaders.
Achieving the Dream Videos
Additional Information and Resources:
Co-chairs for the Core Team: Elizabeth A. Mosser and Jennie Towner
Chair of the Data Team: Tony Wohlers